Monday, May 2, 2011

Mark's reaction

Last night will be a day I remember likely for my whole life. I can think back to September 11th and know exactly where I was and what I was doing. Yesterday night will likely be another one of those days that I remember all the details of for the remainder of my life.


Prior to Mark leaving for this deployment, I told him I needed to hear from him why exactly again he wanted to be in the military. His answer was quick and simple- I've always wanted to lead soldiers. Mark's love with West Point and the Army started before 9/11. He remembers the dream starting in 8th grade. He recognizes his grandfather as a significant influence in his life as well as his uncles for wanting to join the Army. So while the news of the death of Osama bin Laden was huge news last night to me- I knew this terrorist and his actions was not the only reason Mark joined the military.

Mark has been incredibly busy the last several weeks. In addition to the normal demands of his job duties, the guys are packing up their first round of stuff to ship back home, and the details of the end of deployment are quickly approaching. While I have heard minimally from him, I hear just enough to not worry too much additionally about him. I get short e-mails once every day or every other day- and that is more than enough to get me through.

Late last night I got a text from the wife of Mark's SFC that I am good friends with. It said 4 words "Bin Laden is Dead!!!!!" She knows that I avoid the news usually and have plead ignorance for the last 11 months due to the news usually worrying more than what is necessary. I immediately flipped on the news for maybe the 3rd time this deployment, and shot Mark an e-mail. In the subject line was "Bin Laden DEAD". A short message in the body of the e-mail stated:


Hi baby dear,
Just wanted to spread the good news!!!
Osama bin laden has been killed and his body is in US custody. I can't explain how big my smile is. I'm curious your feelings. I love you.


Mark's response made my smile even larger. Not more than an hour later I got a response from him:

Hey Baby,
F***
ing right! I just saw that news too. I'm glad that evil has been taken away from this earth. I love you! Your, Mark

Earlier in the week and over the last month you could tell morale had been on the decline. The end of deployment wearing on everyone, and this news only re-energized not only Mark, but I'm sure the rest of the guys over there. As I wrote on my Facebook wall- this kind of news is what makes having Mark deployed all worth while. I may not understand all the smaller details and reasons why Afghanistan is a better place because he and his guys are there- but this I can understand very well.

God bless America- Land of the free because of the Brave.

Love,
Angie

0 comments: