He's HOME!!!!! We made it to R&R (Mark's 2 weeks of leave from Afghanistan). It's been 197 days since we have last been in each others arms and it feels awesome! We have both been on cloud nine since he arrived in Milwaukee this morning at 10:30AM. As you read this, you may ask why on Earth I'm writing a blog--- but I had to do something while he is catching up on some sleep. He had a long trip.
First Embrace and Kiss
He started his journey from Kandahar airfield on the 31st, flew to Kuwait, then to Shannon Ireland, onto GA this morning, and into Milwaukee. The journey took 50 hours- but he said it was all worth it. I was expecting him to be pretty stinky when he got in, but he actually wasn't too bad. He said he found some showers at the base in Kuwait which he thinks definitely helped.
Both of our families were at the airport for the reuniting. We weren't expecting him in until 2:20 today, but I was woken up this morning at 7:22 to a phone call from Marky saying he was getting on a plane home to MKE from Atlanta. From that moment, I was busy trying to get a hold of Mark's parents (who were already at the airport early that morning to drop Brian off for his flight back to West Point). Unfortunately, they didn't hear their cell phone ring the several times I tried and got the news back in Sheboygan. Which means they made the hour drive back and forth from the airport back to back. Luckily I caught my parents before they went to church. I was grateful I didn't have to find them in the middle of mass to get them to the airport with me. Halfway down to Milwaukee we got a phone call from Mark saying their plane was going to be an hour delayed in its arrival due to some problems with the plane. It took the time crunch off and we had a more leisurely drive to the airport.
After he arrived in there were hugs, kisses, tears, and photos. I don't know how many times I uttered to Mark when he arrived that "I don't think it has hit me yet that you are really here and home." We then went to Buca di Beppos with the families for some lunch. There, sadly, the waitress accidentally dropped 2 LARGE glasses of ice water on Tom, Mark's dad. It was like it happened in slow motion and all the waitress could say was "I'm so sorry, I have no idea how that happened." Meanwhile- the rest of us just had to hold back our smirks and laughs. We ate a wonderful lunch, enjoyed catching up, and then Mark and I were on our way to Waukesha while our parents headed back to Sheboygan.
On the way to Waukesha, we had to stop at Zales so I could get my wedding band inspected for its annual 6 month check and Mark decided he wanted to stay in the car. When I got back he had a surprise for me. A card that he wrote that was absolutely wonderful. It was then that the waterworks turned on full force and I said to him "Ok-- its hit me- you really are home!" It was a wonderful moment.
We will now have 15 days together. It will be absolutely wonderful I"m sure. Until Thursday we will be in Waukesha (I have a 3.5 day class at Carroll). Mark is hoping to stop in and see Ms. B's 3rd grade class in uniform in Brown Deer over this time and to catch up on some much needed sleep. Thursday afternoon we are picking up Mark's brother Nate, his wife Lindsay, and Mark's 2.5 year old niece Riley from the airport and will be driving back to Sheboygan for a wonderful family weekend together. We have some more Christmas to celebrate- but are mainly looking forward to some family time together. On the 9th Mark and I will be flying out to our house in WA and we will see if we can fit in some skiing and snow shoeing.
Thats all for the update! Its been a wonderful day--- the best day I've had since summer and it feels great to get hugs and kisses again from the wonderful man I am so fortunate to call my husband.
Love
Angie
1 comments:
ah, this just made me bawl like a baby! i can't wait to be you and be over the halfway point of deployment!! :)
Post a Comment