Hello All,
Mark sent an e-mail a few days ago.
Hey Guys,
I hope you are doing well. I've got some good news! I am going to be taking a platoon here in just a short while. I will be going to the 170th Military Police Company, our company out of Fort Lewis. At first I was a little upset because one of my buddies outranks me by a few months and he needs a platoon too. And so while I don't agree with the decision, he was pegged for another assignment (not a platoon). After a day of some prayer and focus, I have accepted the decision and I am now very grateful for the incredible opportunity to lead some great American Soldiers in combat. It is a huge honor and I cannot wait to lead them to the end of our deployment and back home. I am well prepared to take this platoon, I am excited that the platoon sergeant that I will be working with is another really good leader and will have a lot to teach me and take good care of me. Please wish me luck. Talk to you all soon.
Love, Mark
His job has changed (yes again), and he will likely have this job for the remainder of the deployment. He will now be the Platoon Leader for the 170th MP company. It is another company stationed within the city of Kandahar. He will be working in an area known as the Provincial Reserve. I don't know much about the area and Mark has not been able to share much with me about it. From what I understand, Mark will be mentoring the commander of the Afghan National Police station in this particular part of Kandahar. In addition to mentoring the commander, Mark will be overseeing and taking care of 40(ish) American soldiers that make up the 170th.
The battalion attempts to send out a newsletter regularly. The last one I received was in November. With that being said each company writes an update about what they have been doing. The 170th's November update highlighted this:
Local villagers stated that they were happy and grateful for the presence of U.S. Soldiers of the 170th. Primarily, due to the fact that they were unable to maintain their crops based on the overwhelming Taliban forces threatening their families. The presence of the 170th provided security and safety for the Local Nationals to conduct normal, daily routines without the constant fear and threat of the Taliban, which greatly improved their way of life.
I hope and pray that Mark and the men and women he will be leading of the 170th can continue to make a difference in the Afghan peoples lives. And that they continue to help make the Afghan National Police self sufficient and successful at protecting their own country.
Being a platoon leader has been a dream job of Mark's since 8th grade. He has always wanted to lead soldiers. That has been the answer I have gotten every time I asked over the last 7 years why he joined the military and went to West Point. I am glad he has finally getting his turn to lead soldiers and I know that he will do an amazing job. In the meantime, Mark and I will be adjusting to a new communication schedule. I know he will have longer and busier days ahead of him and will communicate back home when he can. We are hoping for at least an e-mail once a week. Fingers crossed. As always, please keep him in your prayers as he makes this transition into a new job.
With love,
Angie
2 comments:
Well, the home stretch. I will pray for Mark and his platoon. Hang in there, Angie.
Thanks for the wonderful update on the R&R as my ears have been burning hoping it had exceeded expectations. Add to that the opportunity to lead a platoon - congratulations!! Its the best and most rewarding job in the army. Thanks again and best and safe wishes to a special couple.
With love - Uncle Jim and Aunt Stephanie
Post a Comment